Cut-Flower Corner: Blooms for the Kitchen Table

 It started, as most daft ideas in this family do, with a jam jar.

Iris came in from next door's plot last week clutching a bunch of sweet peas she'd been given by old Pat, three doors down from us on the allotment, and stuck them straight in a jam jar in the middle of the kitchen table without so much as asking. Within about four minutes the whole kitchen smelled like a wedding, Sara had gone all misty-eyed over her tea, and I sat there looking at them thinking, hang on a minute, what exactly do WE grow for the vase? And the honest answer, after thirty-odd years of allotmenteering, is not a lot. Runner beans don't look much in a jug. Nobody's ever asked for a nice bunch of parsnips for their birthday.

That was the moment it landed on me. We grow food beautifully. We grow it organised, we grow it chemical-free, we grow it in a rotation I could recite in my sleep. But flowers, proper cut flowers, the kind you snip and carry indoors and plonk in the middle of the table just because they make the room nicer, we've never really bothered with on purpose. We've had a few dahlias here and there, a border of this and that Iris fussed over, but never a patch grown specifically so somebody can go out with a pair of scissors and come back with an armful.

So here's the plan, and I'm rather excited about it if I'm honest. Next season, one whole corner of the plot is getting handed over entirely to cut flowers. Not border decoration, not "something for the bees" (although they'll benefit plenty), but a proper working patch that keeps producing all summer long, purely so there's always something worth putting in a jug on the kitchen table. Iris is already fully on board. Sam, less convinced, muttered something about losing good spud ground to "posh flowers," but I noticed him quietly looking up dahlia varieties on his phone the other night when he thought nobody was watching, so I reckon he's coming round.

Choosing the Spot and Getting the Bed Ready

We've settled on the sunny strip along the top of the second allotment, the bit that gets sun from about ten in the morning right through till it drops behind the hedge at teatime. Good drainage too, which matters more for flowers than you'd think. Veg will sulk a bit in poor conditions and still limp along to give you something. Flowers, in my limited experience so far, just give up and go home if they're not happy.

Over the winter the plan is to get stuck into that bed properly, digging in a good helping of well-rotted manure and whatever compost we've got going spare, which admittedly is never quite as much as I promise Sara it will be. I want it marked out into clear, sensible rows, wide enough that whoever's cutting can get in with a trug and a pair of scissors without trampling on next door's blooms. There's nothing more irritating than squashing three good stems trying to reach the fourth.

The Wish List: What's Going In

I've been making a list, the way I do, on the back of an old seed packet, which then goes missing, which means I've made it three times now.

For the backbone of the whole patch, it has to be sweet peas. Given that this entire scheme was Pat's fault in the first place, it only seems right. Nothing beats them for scent, and the more you pick, the more they come, which suits a lazy picker like me down to the ground. Alongside those I want a proper stretch of cosmos and zinnias, cheerful, hard-working things in colours loud enough that even Sam can't pretend he hasn't noticed them. Cornflowers and nigella are going in too, for a bit of delicate texture in among all that colour, the sort of thing that makes an arrangement look like you knew what you were doing rather than just grabbed whatever was tallest.

Then there's the showstoppers. Dahlias, obviously, and this year I actually intend to treat the tubers with a bit of respect rather than my usual approach of shoving them in and hoping. Echinacea and rudbeckia are going in as well, both of which last an age in a vase and give you that proper late-summer, honey-coloured look. And for filling out the bouquets, some mint and dill tucked in along the edges, because a bit of foliage and scent makes all the difference, and frankly it's nice having something in there Sara can also raid for the kitchen.

The Plan, Month by Month

Over autumn and winter it's seed ordering, tuber ordering, and getting the soil sorted, along with knocking together some sort of sweet pea tepee out of canes and string, which I fully expect to collapse at least once before July. Come February through April, it's trays under cover, seeds started indoors on the windowsills Sara's already threatened to reclaim, and the fiddly job of pricking out seedlings, which Iris is oddly brilliant at and I am oddly hopeless at, despite forty-odd years of practice.

By May, once the frost risk has properly cleared off, everything gets hardened off and planted out. Then it's just picking, feeding, and deadheading right through summer into autumn, which if the sweet peas are anything to go by, is less a chore and more an excuse to wander up the plot every evening with a trug under one arm.

A Word on Frugal Sense and a Bit of Craft

Now, before anyone thinks I've gone soft and started spending money on things you can't eat, hear me out. A florist's bunch these days costs a genuine fortune for something that's wilted by Thursday. A packet of cosmos seed costs about the same as one stem from a shop and gives you buckets of flowers all summer long. That's proper frugal sense in anyone's book, and if you want the real expert on stretching a pound further than it should reasonably go, my Sara runs a blog called Frugal in Lincolnshire, and she'll run rings round me on that front every time.

There's a bit of craft creeping in too, mind. Sara's already talking about brown paper and garden twine for wrapping up a posy or two to give away, the way she's dressed up our preserving jars lately. Between her and Iris, I suspect a simple bunch of zinnias is about to become something rather more presentable than anything I'd manage on my own. And the bees and hoverflies will be doing very nicely out of it as well, which pleases the nature-lover in me nearly as much as the flowers themselves.

How I'll Be Cutting and Keeping Them

I've been reading up on this bit properly, since apparently there's more to it than yanking a stem and hoping. Cutting first thing in the morning is the trick, while the stems are still full of water and before the sun's had a chance to tire them out. Straight into a bucket of clean water too, not laid on the ground or left in a trug in the sun like I've been guilty of with veg for years. A forty-five-degree cut gives the stem more surface to drink through, and stripping off any leaves that would sit below the waterline stops the water turning nasty after a couple of days. Small things, but apparently they're the difference between flowers that last a week and flowers that give up by Wednesday.

Right, Over to You

I'll admit I'm rather looking forward to next summer now, picturing that corner of the plot bursting with colour and the kitchen table never being without something in a jug. It feels like the missing piece we've had all along without quite realising it, food for the body from one end of the allotment, and something a bit lovely for the soul from the other.

So go on then, tell me. What are your absolute must-grow flowers for a vase on the table? And has anyone got a dahlia or sweet pea variety they swear by, because I'd love to have a proper shortlist before I get carried away and order one of everything.

Happy growing, everyone. See you on the plot. 

Comments

Popular Posts